Data Bases Searched
Computerized and published hardcopy data bases were searched for appropriate
literature in compiling this bibliography. Computerized data bases searched
Published hardcopy data bases searched in compiling the bibliography were:
• Selected References: The Encinal Woodlands (Ffolliott and Gottfried
- FS INFO
- CAB Abstracts
- BIO SIF Previews
- Life Science Collections
- Southwestern Center for Biological Diversity: Grazing Abstracts
- Riparian Bibliography for New Mexico and the Southwest: Selected
• Livestock Management Effects on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Riparian
Areas: A Selected Literature Review (Anderson 1993).
• Annotated Bibliography: Ecological Impacts of Livestock Grazing in
Western North America (Fleischner 1993).
• Southwestern Research Station Bibliography (1955-1994) (Sherbrooke
• A Bibliography for the Northern Madrean Biogeographic Province (Ffolliott
et al. 1994).
• Southwest Watershed Research Center: A History of Research for Today
and Tomorrow (USDA Agricultural Research Service 1994).
• Land Use History of the San Rafael Valley, Arizona (1540-1960) (Hadley
and Sheridan 1995).
• Annotated Bibliography of Reports, Publication, and Thesis on the
Appleton-Whittell Research Ranch Sanctuary (National Audubon Society 1995).
• Papers presented at the conference on the Biodiversity and Management
of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands of Southwestern United States
and Northwestern Mexico, held in Tucson, Arizona, on September 19-23, 1994,
are also included in the bibliography, along with the relevant literature
cited in these papers (DeBano et al. 1995).
• Annotated bibliography of publications from the Southwest Watershed
Research Center (USDA Agricultural Research Service 1995).
• Bibliography for Animas Valley of SW New Mexico (no author).
• A Selected Bibliography: Effects of Fire on the Madrean Province
Ecosystems (DeBano and Ffolliott 1996).
• The Santa Rita Experimental Range: History and Annotated bibliography
(1903-1988) (Medina 1996).
• The Role and Importance of Disturbances and Climate Change on Plant
Communities in the Borderlands of U.S./Mexico: A State-of-the-Knowledge
Review with Recommendations for Future Research (McPherson and Weltzin
• Literature of Wildlife Research in the Madrean Archipelago: 1800s
- 1994 (Morrison et al. 1997).
Thesis and dissertations on topics that are relevant to the Madrean Biogeographic
Province, and the literature cited therein, were also reviewed in preparing
the bibliography. "Fugitive literature," including office reports, field
trip summaries, map references, and other (formally) unpublished but relevant
materials, are included where appropriate. This literature is most commonly
found in special collections of libraries.