Rocky Mountain Research Station
240 W. Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
- Work as a Research Scientist in the fields of wildlife conservation and management. Especially using genetic tools to better understand wildlife ecology and to identify unique populations and those of special concern.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Investigate range-wide patterns of genetic variation for North American goshawks across their range. Specifically, I am using mtDNA to address questions concerning phylogeographic history and isolation. I am also measuring gene flow among populations, and identifying unique and isolated populations. Work has begun to use microsatellite genetic markers to also measure gene flow and genetic structure.
- Habitat assessment for Northern Goshawks of the Black Hills, South Dakota. This project is assessing current habitat conditions for goshawks and their prey species. Our goal is to identify areas of the Black Hills National Forest that are best suited for habitat improvement projects for goshawks and their prey. Results from this project will help BHNF focus attention on areas that have the best opportunity for habitat improvement. Results will be published as a General Technical Report.
- Use LiDAR to measure goshawk habitat composition and structure across the Kaibab Plateau. One goal is to measure forest structure in nest areas, post-fledging-family areas (PFA), and foraging areas (FA) in 125 goshawk territories on the Kaibab Plateau. Such habitat assessments will allow us to investigate the relationship between goshawk demographic performance and identification of those vegetation elements that confer habitat quality.
REALIZED MAJOR RESEARCH OUTPUTS
- Bayard de Volo, S., RT Reynolds, SA Sonsthagen, SL Talbot and MF Antolin. 2013. Phylogeography, post-glacial gene flow and population history of northern goshawks in North America. Auk 130(2): 342-354.
- Bayard de Volo, S., RT Reynolds, MR Douglas and MF Antolin. 2008. An improved method to increase DNA yield from molted feathers. The Condor 110: 762-766. PDF
- Bayard de Volo, S. 2008. Genetic studies of northern goshawks (Accipiter gentilis): genetic tagging and individual identification from feathers, and determining phylogeography, gene flow and population history for goshawks in North America. Ph.D. dissertation, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO. http://hdl.handle.net/10217/16266
- Bayard de Volo, S., R. Reynolds, J. Topinka, B. May, and M. Antolin. 2005. Population genetics and genotyping for mark-recapture studies of northern goshawks (Accipiter gentilis) on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona. Journal of Raptor Research 39:275-284. PDF
- Bayard de Volo, S. 2004. Using molted feathers as a source of DNA in mark/recapture and population genetic studies. Wingspan 13:5. PDF
- Bayard de Volo, S., RT Reynolds, SA Sonsthagen, SL Talbot and MF Antolin. 2010. Phylogeography and population history of Northern Goshawks across North America. Poster presentation, Raptor Research Foundation Conference, Fort Collins, CO. Sept. 22-26, 2010. PDF
- Bayard de Volo, S., RT Reynolds, SA Sonsthagen, SL Talbot and MF Antolin. Phylogeography of northern goshawks: evidence of a vicariant past and limited post-glacial gene flow. Oral presentation, session: Phylogeography. Joint Conference of the AOU/COS/SCO PDX2008. August 4-9, 2008. Notes from presentation
- Bayard de Volo, S., R. Reynolds, and M. Antolin. 2006. A first look at the phylogeography of a widespread North American avian predator, the northern goshawk. Oral presentation. SS03, special symposium in Systematics, Genetic Diversity, and Conservation of Raptors. Fourth North American Ornithological Conference, Veracruz, Mexico.
- Bayard de Volo, S., R. Reynolds, and M. Antolin. 2005. Genetic studies of Arizona northern goshawks: evaluating molted feathers as a source of DNA and assessing population genetic structure. Oral presentation, Cooper Ornithological Society, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Bayard de Volo, S., M. Antolin, R. Reynolds, R. Topinka, and B. May. 2003. Can molted feathers serve as a source of DNA for genotyping in mark-recapture and population genetic studies: results from a pilot study. Paper presentation, International Northern Goshawk Symposium and Annual Meeting of the Raptor Research Foundation, Inc., Anchorage, AK.