Research Wildlife Biologist
Phone: (970) 498-2585
Rocky Mountain Research Station
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
- Conduct long-term research into the relationships between species' demographies and habitat to identify habitat characteristics that distinguish among high quality (source) and low quality (sink) habitats.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Distribution, territory occupancy, demography, dispersal, and habitats of northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona.
- Factors affecting nest locations and habitat quality of northern goshawks on the Kaibab National Forest.
- Post-fledgling movement, habitat use, survival, and dispersal of juvenile northern goshawks in Arizona (see Wiens, J. David).
- Factors affecting northern goshawk fecundity on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona (see Salafsky, Susan).
- Genetic fingerprinting for identifying individual goshawks from molted feathers to supplement recapture histories (see Bayard de Volo, Shelley).
- Ecology, territory occupancy, demography, dispersal, and habitat quality of flammulated owls in Colorado.
REALIZED MAJOR RESEARCH OUTPUTS
- Linkhart, B. D., and R. T. Reynolds. 2007. Return rate, fidelity, and dispersal in a breeding population of flammulated owls (Otus flammeolus). Auk 124. PDF
- Wiens, J.D., R.T. Reynolds, and B.R. Noon. 2006. Juvenile movement and natal dispersal of northern goshawks in Arizona. Condor 108: 253-269. PDF
- Wiens, J.D., B.R. Noon, and R.T. Reynolds. 2006. Postfledgling survival of northern goshawks: the effects of prey abundance, weather, and dispersal. Ecological Applications 16: 406-418. PDF
- Reynolds, R.T., J.D. Wiens, S.M. Joy, and S.R.Salafsky. 2005. Sampling considerations for demographic and habitat studies of northern goshawks. The Journal of Raptor Research 39:274-285. PDF
- Reich, R.M., S.M. Joy, and R.T. Reynolds. 2004. Predicting the location of northern goshawk nests: modeling the spatial dependency between nest locations and forest structure. Ecological Modelling 176: 109-133.
- Reynolds, R.T., G.C. White, S.M. Joy, and R.W. Mannan. 2004. Effects of radiotransmitters on northern goshawks: do tailmounts lower survival of breeding males? Journal Wildlife Management 68:25-32. PDF
- Linkhart, B.D., R.T. Reynolds, and R.A. Ryder. 1998. Home range and habitat of breeding flammulated owls in Colorado. Wilson Bulletin 110:342-351. PDF
- Reynolds, R.T., et al. 1992. Management recommendations for the northern goshawk in the southwestern United States. General Technical Report RM-217. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, Fort Collins, CO. PDF
KEY SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
- Lead, Committee of Scientists for development of habitat management recommendations for the northern goshawk, Southwestern Region, USDA Forest Service (1991-present).
- Advisor, USDI Fish and Wildlife Service status review team for the northern goshawk in the forested west (1997-1998).
OUTCOMES OF PAST RESEARCH, SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS, AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER
- Research and special assignments have resulted in syntheses of habitat-related knowledge of plant and animal species in food webs of top-level consumers such as the northern goshawk. These syntheses have produced unique sets of forest management recommendations and conservation plans, some of which were incorporated into the forest plans of all National Forests in the Southwestern Region.
ANTICIPATED OUTCOME OF CURRENT EFFORTS
- Current research will enhance our understanding of the importance of certain habitat characteristics in the demography of species in our forests, allowing the provision of quality habitats and maintenance of viable populations.