Rocky Mountain Station
Southwest Forest Science Complex
2500 South Pine Knoll Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Interests: Food habits of wintering bald eagles in northcentral Arizona.
- Participate in landscape-level, large mammal research.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Food habits of wintering bald eagles in northern Arizona.
- Consumption rates of vehicle-killed ungulates along northern Arizona interstate highways.
- Genetic variation of Coues white-tailed deer in two landscapes of the southwestern United States.
- Hybridization between mule deer and Coues white-tailed deer in the southwestern United States.
- The use of weathered antlers as a source of DNA for molecular genetic studies.
REALIZED MAJOR RESEARCH OUTPUTS
- Lopez, R.G. 2006. Genetic structuring of Coues white-tailed deer in the southwestern United States. Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ. Thesis. PDF
- Lopez, R.G. and P. Beier. 2006. Weathered antlers as a source of DNA for cervid molecular genetic studies. Poster presentation, The Wildlife Society Annual meeting Anchorage, AK. September 2006.
- Lopez R.G., and P. Beier. 2005. Desert vegetation decreases gene flow among Coues white-tailed deer populations in the southwestern United States. Paper presentation, 38th Joint Annual Conference, Arizona and New Mexico Chapters, The Wildlife Society, Arizona and New Mexico Chapters, American Fisheries Society, Gallup, NM.
- Lopez, R.G., and P. Beier. 2005. Coues white-tailed deer genetic variability in the southwestern United States. Poster presentation, The Western States and Provinces Deer and Elk Workshop. Reno, NV.
- Grubb, T.G., and R.G. Lopez. 2000. Food habits of bald eagles wintering in northern Arizona. Journal of Raptor Research 34(4):287-292. PDF
- Grubb, T.G., and R.G. Lopez. 1997. Ice fishing by wintering bald eagles in Arizona. The Wilson Bulletin 109:546-548. PDF
ANTICIPATED OUTCOME OF CURRENT EFFORTS
- Multiple peer reviewed publications based on thesis.
- Facilitate the use of microsatellite allele frequencies by wildlife managers to determine differences among Coues white-tailed, Eastern white-tailed, mule deer, and hybrid Coues white-tailed/mule deer.
- Provide insight into landscape determinants of molecular genetic variability of Coues white-tailed deer in the southwestern United States.
- Peer reviewed publications on wintering bald eagle utilization of local food sources.