Supervisory Biological Science Technician/Graduate Research Assistant
2150 Centre Avenue, Bldg. A
Fort Collins, CO 80526
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Work as a wildlife research scientist in the university, private, or government sector.
REALIZED MAJOR RESEARCH OUTPUTS
- Post-fledgling survival and natal dispersal of northern goshawks in Arizona.
- Distribution, territory occupancy, demography, dispersal, and habitat quality of northern goshawks on the Kaibab Plateau, Arizona.
KEY SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
- Reynolds, R.T., J.D. Wiens, S.M. Joy, and S.R. Salafsky. In press. Sampling considerations for demographic and habitat studies of goshawks: numbers of territories and nests. Journal of Raptor Research: Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Ecology and Management of Northern Goshawks.
- Reynolds, R.T., J.D. Wiens, and S.R. Salafsky. In press. A review and evaluation of factors limiting northern goshawk populations. Studies in Avian Biology.
- Wiens, J.D., R.T. Reynolds, and B.R. Noon. In press. Juvenile movement and natal dispersal of northern goshawks in Arizona. Condor.
- Wiens, J.D., B.R. Noon, and R.T. Reynolds. In press. Postfledging survival of northern goshawks: the effects of prey abundance, weather, and dispersal. Ecological Applications.
- Wiens, J.D., and R.T. Reynolds. 2005. Is fledgling success a reliable index of fitness in northern goshawks? Journal of Raptor Research 39:210-221. PDF
- Wiens, J.D. 2004. Post-fledging survival and natal dispersal of northern goshawks in Arizona. Thesis. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO. PDF
ANTICIPATED OUTCOME OF CURRENT EFFORTS
- Supervisor, North Kaibab Northern Goshawk research project (1995–present).
- Training and supervision of field and office personnel in wildlife monitoring methods, survey protocols, GIS applications, database management, and analytical techniques.
- Reynolds, R.T., J.D. Wiens, S.M. Joy, S.R. Salafsky, and J.C. Seyfried. In review. Territory and mate fidelity and breeding dispersal in the northern goshawk. Condor.
- Wiens, J.D., R.T. Reynolds, and G.C. White. In prep. Determinants of breeding recruitment in the northern goshawk: transition between breeding and non-breeding states.