Daniel G. Neary,
PhD, CPSS, FSSSA, FASA
Science Team Leader, Southwest Watershed Team
/ Soil Scientist & Hydrologist
Air, Water and Aquatic Environments (AWAE) Science Program
- 1969 B.S. Forestry, Michigan State University
- 1972 M.S. Forest Ecology, Michigan State University
- 1974 Ph.D. Forest Soils and Forest Hydrology, Michigan State University
- 1970-1974 Graduate Research Assistant and NDEA Fellow, Department of Forestry, Michigan State University.
- 1974-1978 New Zealand Forest Service: Post Doctoral Fellow, Forest Research Institute, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- 1978-1981 USDA Forest Service: Soil Scientist (GS11-12), Southeastern Station, Coweeta Hydrologic Lab, Otto, NC .
- 1981-1993 USDA Forest Service: Project Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS12-15) Southeastern Station, IMPAC, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- 1993-2007 USDA Forest Service: Project Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS-15), Riparian Ecological Systems, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Flagstaff, AZ .
- 2007-Present USDA Forest Service: Science Team Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS-15), Air, Water and Aquatic Environments Science Program, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Flagstaff, AZ.
- 2009 McMaster Research Fellow, CSIRO, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 2013 SCION Research Fellow, Forest Research Institute Ltd., Rotorua, New Zealand
- University of Florida, 1981-present
- Michigan Tech. University, 1987-2004
- Northern Arizona University, 1993-present
- University of Arizona, 1995-present
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
- American Society of Agronomy
- American Water Resources Association
- International Association of Wildland Fire
- Soil Science Society of America
- International Energy Agency Task 31, USA Representative
- International Erosion Control Association
OFFICES HELD IN and AWARDS FROM PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
- Agency Representative for USDA Forest Service, Geological Society of America, 1985-1996.
- Chair, Section S-7, Forest and Range Soils, Soil Science Society of America, 1991-1992.
- Soil Science Society of America, Board Member, 1992-1993; 2006-2008.
- Member, Soil Science Certification Board, Soil Science Society of America, 1999 - 2008
- Fellow, American Society of Agronomy, 2004
- Fellow, Soil Science Society of America, 2005; Board Member, 2009-2011
- Fulbright Foundation Senior Specialist, Environmental Science, 2008-2013
- Soil Science Society of America, Board Member, 1992 - 1993, 2005 - 2011.
- International Association of Wildland Fire Board Member, 2011-Present.
- Water Repellency in Native and Plantation Forests Project, University of Talca, Talca, Chile, 2013
- Best Management Practices in Bioenergy Feedstock Production Project, International Energy Agency, Bioenergy Task 43 and Chalmers University, Goteborg, Sweden.
- New Zealand Post-doctoral Research Fellowship: 1974-1978
- Tapalpa Watershed Project, Jalisco, Mexico, 1994-1997
- Rio Laja Watershed Project, Guanajuato, Mexico, 2004-2005
- Nogales Erosion Project, Sonora, Mexico, 2004-2005
- International Arid Lands Consortium Project: USA, Spain, Israel, 2004-2006
- Management of Forested Watersheds Short Course, Prague and Kostelec, Czech Republic 2005, 2006
- CSIRO Australia McMaster Research Fellowship Project "Improvements in stream-side buffer management using trees", Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 2009
- Research Fellowship Project "Environmental Fate of Forestry Herbicides", SCION Forest Research Institute New Zealand Ltd., Rotorua, New Zealand, 2013
Page contact: Dan Neary | AWAE Science Team Flagstaff, RMRS